Donated items will be accepted on the condition that the Library Director may select those items needed for the collection and dispose of unwanted items when necessary. Donated items will not be returned to the donor and the Library will not accept any item that is not an outright gift.
Once donated to the Library, items become the property of the SBCL, and may be given to other libraries and non-profit agencies (including the Friends of the Library), sold, traded, or discarded if not used in the collection.
The Library has limited shelf space and limited storage for the Friends of the Library book sales. Thus, the library must be selective when accepting donations and has established the following criteria:
- Donations must be in excellent condition – fresh smelling and clean, with pages that are not yellowed and are not damaged in any way.
- The Library will only accept items from South Burlington residents.
- The Library will accept adult books, only if they have been published within the past ten years.
- The Library will accept only books in English
- .The Library will not accept text books, magazines, or Reader’s Digest condensed books.
- The Library will not accept primary source documents and archival materials.
The following accept clean book donations:
- Replays (Blue Mall) accepts books, but no dictionaries, textbooks, or encyclopedias. 660-8420
- Goodwill (Shelburne Rd.) accepts books, but no magazines or library books. 658-5359
- Chittenden Solid Waste District (South Burlington Drop-Off Center) has a special area for hardcover books only. Clean and dry paperbacks can go into blue recycling bins or in the “Reuse” kiosk, if bestsellers. 872-8111
- Used books can also be sold at the Crow Bookshop (14 Church Street, Burlington) http://www.crowbooks.com/.
This information was confirmed at time of printing, but may change in the future.